New varieties of Tencel are under development which will allow further reductions in the weight of the separator required per battery. These also improve the dimensional stability and durability of the paper in the strong alkalis used. There were numerous questions:
- Can Tencel be used to obtain nanofibres? Yes but at a cost which only works for some applications.
- What operating temperatures must the separator be designed for? -30 to +50C
- Is the whole furnish refined together? No Tencel is refined separately.
- Is Tencel paper used in double-layer electrolytic capacitors? Yes.
- Are fibrils lost through the wire? Yes this is an issue which necessitates careful tuning of the refiner.
- Would Tencel be used in electric car batteries? Yes – this is under development.