CWC Ltd (Calvin Woodings Consulting Ltd.) is a company registered in the UK (No. 3585139) and founded in early 1998 to provide new product and new market development services to the world's fibre and nonwoven industries. The Nonwoven.co.uk website was set up at that time. Due diligence and expert witness services are also provided.
We have particular expertise in:
Disposable nonwovens and converted products such as diapers, wipes, feminine hygiene and wound care.
Nonwovens production and converting technologies.
Man-made fibre production technology, especially those made from wood cellulose e.g. viscose rayon, lyocell ("Tencel") and acetate.
- Calvin Woodings obtained a BSc in Chemistry on a Courtaulds scholarship before joining Courtaulds Research Division in 1966. His passion for nonwovens began the following year while seeking applications for the family of inflated/collapsed viscose rayon fibres he developed and patented.
- Before becoming Courtaulds Group’s first Research Fellow in 1985 he managed several research teams including Staple Fibre Development, Tyre-yarn Research, Nonwovens Development, Surgical Product Development and Tampon Development.
- As a Research Fellow he had broad responsibility for identifying market trends, new product opportunities and strategy for any Courtaulds Group company with interests in the nonwovens or speciality paper industries.
- He also set up and ran a multi-client nonwoven pilot plant utilising the latest nonwoven technology (dry-laying, wet laying, spun-laying, hydroentanglement, sonic bonding, thermal bonding, needlepunching, latex bonding) to develop nonwoven applications for Courtaulds Fibres in general and for the new solvent-spun rayon (Tencel®) in particular.
- He left Research in 1994 to become Market Development Director - Courtaulds Lyocell® with responsibilities for commercialising this industrial version of Tencel®.
- He has presented papers and chaired sessions at many nonwovens conferences around the world and has lectured on man-made fibres and nonwovens in China, Russia and at Coventry University.
- He wrote the Regenerated Cellulosic Fibers chapter in the latest editions of the Encyclopaedias of Chemical Technology and Polymer Science.
- He has numerous patents on fibres and nonwovens including several on new applications for lyocell fibre. He served on several EDANA committees and is a past Chairman of the Technical Committee and its task-forces.
- He has served on the advisory board of Nonwoven Markets and is currently an Editorial Consultant to Nonwovens Report International, to Sustainable Nonwovens and is on the Editorial Board of INDA's Journal of Engineered Fibers and Fabrics.