Rory Holmes, Past President of INDA provided the latest (2011) INDA statistics:
- Of the 1817 kt on nonwovens produced, 964kt were spunbond, 598kt carded, 165 kt airlaid and 90 kt wetlaid.
- 638kt of the spunbond was PP (SB or SMS). Polyethylene accounted for 54kt and was presumably mainly Tyvek.
- 314kt of the carded was needlepunched, 201kt spunlaced and 83kt thermal or resin bonded.
- By 2016 the total tonnage will rise to 2329kt, 1270kt of which will be spunbond.
- For Disposables, hygiene nonwovens will grow from 370kt in 2011 to 416kt in 2016, medical from 166 to 194kt, wipes from 309 to 414kt and filtration from 171 to 213kt. Oil Sorbents will grow from 59 to 75kt.
- For Durables over the same 5 years, automotive nonwovens will grow from 53 to 76kt, furniture/bedding from 90 to 130kt, geotextiles from 125 to 141kt and agricultural from 30 to 37kt.