|(R to L) Philip Gibbs (PCI) opens the Conference with Jonathan Cullen (Cambridge University) and Paul Clarke (PCI)|
But for this opening paper, all the presentations were from PCI work by PCI consultants and the conference was therefore unique - in my experience at least - because there were no “commercials” and every paper provided concentrated factual information. Every one of the papers presented in this single day would have been a highlight of the average 3-day technical textiles or nonwoven conference!
The conference also covered:
- the prospects for bio-versions of PET’s monomers, ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid,
- the issues involved in scaling up bio-versions,
- the PET recycling industry – “the real key to sustainability”,
- the latest on the sustainability of that key component of many polyester-blend textiles i.e. cotton,
- the drivers for sustainability in the apparel chain.